Home Divorce Paternity Adoption Custody & Visitation Child Support Temporary Restraining Orders

Hawaii Divorce Lawyer

Hawaii is a no-fault state. You do not need to prove adultery, desertion, or a two-year separation to file for divorce in Hawaii. Most seeking divorce choose to use the grounds of irretrievable break-down.

If your spouse agrees to get a divorce, and both of you agree completely on the terms of the divorce, this is considered an uncontested divorce. An agreement decree is filed with the Court and your divorce is usually processed by the Court within a month or two.

If your spouse does not agree to get a divorce, or if any issue of the divorce is disputed, then your divorce is considered a contested divorce. Issues surrounding your contested divorce may include child custody, visitation, child support, division of assets, division of retirement plans, and division of debts.

Generally, it is required that you or your spouse be a resident of Hawaii for at least six months and you or your spouse must have been a resident of the county where the divorce is filed for at least three months in order to be granted a divorce.

If you are in the military and planning to proceed with a divorce, and you are stationed in Hawaii, then you are most often considered eligible to file in Hawaii. Even if you are deployed, it is possible to get a divorce.

Louis Markee is an experienced divorce attorney and is able to assist you in the legal aspects of your divorce. Mr. Markee is well-versed in contested divorces, uncontested divorces, and military divorces. Call Mr. Markee if you need legal counsel for your divorce.

Divorce FAQs

How do I pay for my fee?

Mr. Markee charges a flat fee for an uncontested divorce. You will know in advance what your divorce will cost.

Mr. Markee charges an hourly fee if the divorce is contested. If your spouse is contesting the divorce, or if your spouse disagrees about one or more issues, then Mr. Markee’s fees will be based on an hourly rate. An estimate of your divorce fees will be provided.

Can I get a divorce in Hawaii if my spouse does not want to get one?


Do I need to prove my spouse had an affair?

No, in Hawaii, neither spouse needs to prove that their spouse did anything wrong in the marriage.

How long will it take for me to get a divorce?

After the divorce decree is signed by both spouses and submitted to Family Court, it takes about 1 month until the divorce decree is signed and filed by Family Court, sometimes more, sometimes less.

How long will a contested divorce take?

It depends. Each case is different. A contested divorce may take 6 months.

Do I have to hire an attorney to get a divorce?

No; however, it is recommended that you seek an attorney for consultation to discuss the issues and the terms.

What if my spouse and I disagree over how to split our assets?

Hawaii is an equitable division state. Hawaii uses a Partnership Model. Generally, the assets and debts accumulated during the marriage are divided one-half to each spouse. They are exceptions, such as inheritances. If you cannot agree on the division, the Court will decide.
Louis J. Markee, Jr. | Hawaii Family Law Attorney

Louis J. Markee, Jr.
Attorney at Law

841 Bishop Street,
Suite 1710
Davies Pacific Center
Honolulu, HI 96813

Phone: (808) 536-1220

Request a Free Consultation
  • • Saturday apointments available
  • • Payment plans available
  • • Over 20 years of experience
  • • Military welcome
  • • Free telephone consultation